The Runner's Debt

The rain in Port Aster doesn't wash anything away. It just moves the grime from the high-rises down to the gutters, where people like me spend our days crawling. I was leaning against the rusted railing of a catwalk in the Sector 4 transit hub, watching the neon lights of the Helix Meridian towers flicker through the smog. My lungs burned, a sharp reminder that I’d pushed my luck too far in the Industrial District this morning.
Beside me, Tomo was hunched over a cracked tablet, his fingers flying across the screen as he decrypted a batch of low-level shipping manifests. "You’re bleeding, Kai," he muttered, not looking up. "And don't tell me it's just a scratch. I can smell the antiseptic from here."
I wiped a smear of red from my collar. "It’s a souvenir. The extraction window was closing, and the security drones were getting twitchy. I had to make a choice: keep my skin pristine or grab the medical supplies Lena wanted. I chose the supplies."
Tomo finally looked up, his expression guarded. "Lena Voss doesn't pay for heroes, Kai. She pays for results. If you keep taking hits like this, the gear repair costs are going to outweigh the payout. You’ll be working for Helix Meridian just to cover your own maintenance."
That was the truth of Port Aster. You either worked for the corporations, or you worked for yourself—and working for yourself meant you were always one bad run away from being an asset for the scrap heap. I reached into my tactical vest, my hand brushing against the cold, heavy weight of the Black Drive. I hadn't told Tomo about it yet. I hadn't told anyone.
The Echo in the Machine
The drive was an anomaly. I’d pulled it from a secure locker in the sub-basement of a decommissioned research lab during a routine data-scavenging contract. When I plugged it into my private terminal back at the safe house, I expected encrypted trade routes or maybe some black-market blueprints. Instead, I saw myself.
The footage was grainy, but the gait was unmistakable. It was me, wearing gear I didn't own, infiltrating a facility I’d never been to. I was moving with a cold, calculated precision that felt alien to my usual impulsive style. I was talking to someone off-screen—a voice I couldn't quite identify—about a "Phase Two" objective. The scariest part? I had absolutely no memory of it. No recollection of the facility, the mission, or the person behind the camera.
My thoughts were interrupted by the heavy, rhythmic thud of combat boots on metal grating. I didn't need to turn around to know who it was. Rhea Knox moved like a predator, even in a public transit zone.
"You look like you've seen a ghost, Ren," Rhea said, stopping a few feet behind us. She was cleaning a suppressor, her eyes scanning the shadows of the sector. "Or maybe you're just realizing that the debt you owe to this city is growing faster than your reputation."
"I pay my debts, Rhea," I said, forcing a grin that didn't quite reach my eyes. "What do you want?"
"Marshal Dren is clearing out the lower levels tonight," she said, her voice dropping to a low, dangerous hum. "Helix Meridian is tightening the leash. They’re looking for something that went missing from the research sector. Something small. Digital. And worth more than your life."
The Cost of Curiosity
My heart skipped a beat, but I kept my face neutral. If Helix was already hunting for the Black Drive, the safety of the neutral zones was about to evaporate. I looked at the drive sitting in my pocket, feeling the weight of it shift. It wasn't just data; it was a target on my back.
"If you’re looking for a lead on that," I said, testing the waters, "you’re asking the wrong person."
Rhea stepped closer, her shadow looming over me. "I'm not asking, Kai. I'm warning you. You’re a quick thinker, but you’re playing a game where the rules change every time you blink. Don’t get attached to what you find in the dark. It’s usually there for a reason."
As she walked away, disappearing into the swirling mist of the Sector 4 tunnels, I felt the familiar itch of the extraction life. The adrenaline was fading, replaced by a cold, hollow realization. I had been ignoring the warning signs, treating the Black Drive as a mystery to be solved rather than a ticking bomb.
Tomo nudged my arm, unaware of the conversation that had just transpired. "Kai? You still with me? Lena just pinged. She says the payout for the medical supplies is ready, but she's got a new job. Higher risk, higher reward."
I looked at the flickering lights of the city, at the towering corporate monoliths that owned the air we breathed and the ground we stood on. I thought about the recording—the version of me that knew exactly what to do, the version of me that was a pawn in someone else’s game.
I had a choice. I could hand the drive over to Lena, take the credits, and try to forget the face of the man I didn't recognize in the video. Or I could keep digging, knowing that the deeper I went, the less likely I was to ever leave Port Aster alive.
I patted the drive in my pocket. "Tell Lena I'm in," I said, my voice steadying. "But I'm going to need more than just credits this time. I need answers."
If I was going to be a ghost in my own life, I was at least going to find out who was haunting me.