No Safe Route

The air in Port Aster doesn't just sit; it clings. It smells like ozone, burnt copper, and the desperate, metallic tang of people who know their time is running out. I was leaning against the rusted corrugated siding of a shipping container in Sector 4, checking the integrity of my mag-well for the third time in ten minutes. My heart was doing that annoying, rhythmic thumping against my ribs—a reminder that in the conflict zones, adrenaline is the only currency that doesn't devalue.
Tomo’s voice crackled through the comms, distorted by the local signal jammers Helix Meridian had set up to keep the "unauthorized" from sniffing around their perimeter. "Kai, you’re drifting. If the patrol sweeps through the alleyway, you’re going to be the most expensive target in the district. Get moving."
"Relax, Tomo," I muttered, shifting my weight. "I’m just enjoying the scenery. The way the toxic fog curls around the Helix barricades? It’s almost poetic, if you ignore the fact that they’d ventilate me on sight."
The Extraction Window
The job was supposed to be simple. A routine data-swipe from a defunct research node. But in Port Aster, "routine" is usually just a fancy word for "a trap you haven't realized you're in yet." Lena Voss had promised me the path was clear, but as I crouched low, weaving through the jagged ruins of the old industrial district, the silence felt heavy—the kind of silence that precedes a firing squad.
I reached the node, my fingers dancing over the interface. That’s when I saw it. Tucked behind a loose panel, a standard-issue encrypted drive. I shouldn't have touched it. I knew better. But there was a label on the casing—a sequence of numbers that matched my own runner ID. I jammed it into my vest and hit the extraction trigger just as a spotlight swept over my previous position.
The Ghost in the Machine
I made it to the extraction point with three minutes to spare, my lungs burning and my tactical jacket shredded by a stray burst of shrapnel. I didn't stop until I reached the safe house, a cramped, windowless hole in the wall where Tomo keeps our gear running.
I didn't tell him about the drive. Not yet. I waited until he was asleep, his head resting on a stack of circuit boards, before I slotted the drive into my private terminal. I expected encrypted blueprints or maybe some bank codes. What I got was a video file.
The footage was grainy, but the subject was undeniable. It was me. I was in a facility I didn't recognize, moving with a cold, surgical precision that I’ve never possessed. I was executing a mission, disabling security protocols, and whispering something into a mic. I watched myself on screen, my own face looking back at me with an expression of complete, terrifying detachment. I don't remember being there. I don't remember doing any of it.
The Cost of Curiosity
The next morning, the city felt different. Every shadow looked like a threat, and every Helix patrol officer felt like they were watching me specifically. Rhea Knox caught me near the market, her eyes narrowing as she scanned my gear. She’s seen enough runners come and go to know when someone is hiding a secret that could get everyone in the sector killed.
"You look like you’ve seen a ghost, Kai," she said, her hand drifting toward her holster. "Or maybe you’ve just realized that in this city, the only thing more dangerous than a Helix bounty is the truth about why they want you."
I walked away without answering, my hand instinctively checking for the weight of the drive in my pocket. Marshal Dren’s security teams are tightening the checkpoints, and the word on the street is that someone high up in the Helix chain of command is looking for a "lost asset."
If that asset is me, then I’m not just running for a paycheck anymore. I’m running from a version of myself I don't recognize. But in Port Aster, there’s no such thing as a safe route—only the next mistake waiting to be made. How long can I keep playing the game when the rules seem to be changing right under my feet?