A Deal After Dark

The neon hum of Port Aster’s lower levels usually sounds like a lullaby to me. Tonight, it sounded like a funeral dirge. I sat in the back of a rain-slicked noodle shop, watching the reflection of a Helix Meridian patrol drone flicker against my cooling broth. My hands were steady, but my head felt like it had been put through a trash compactor.
Tomo slid into the booth across from me, his grease-stained jacket smelling faintly of ozone and burnt wiring. He didn't look happy. He rarely did when we were holding a package that wasn't supposed to exist.
“The encryption is military-grade, Kai,” Tomo whispered, keeping his eyes on the street. “I’ve cracked bank vaults and security grids for the high-rises, but this? This is a digital fortress. And the worst part? The metadata signature is yours.”
I reached into my inner pocket and pulled out the Black Drive. It looked like any other piece of salvage—matte black, unassuming, cold to the touch. I didn't remember grabbing it from the ruins of the Old Industrial District. I didn't remember much of that run at all, just the ringing in my ears and the taste of copper in my mouth when I woke up in the extraction zone.
The Ghost in the Machine
I took a breath and tapped the drive against the table. “Play the first segment. The corrupted one.”
Tomo hesitated, then connected his handheld terminal. A grainy, low-light video flickered onto the small screen. It was me. There was no doubt about it—the same jacket, the same scuff marks on my boots. But my eyes in the video were cold, vacant, moving with a precision I didn't possess. I was moving through the Helix Meridian server room, bypassing laser grids that shouldn't have been active, and placing this very drive into a data port.
“That’s not you, Kai,” Tomo muttered. “That’s a machine wearing your skin.”
“I was there,” I said, my voice barely audible over the hiss of the rain. “I can feel the phantom ache in my shoulder from where I took that jump. But I never took that jump. I never even entered that sector.”
Before Tomo could respond, a shadow fell over our table. It wasn't a patrol drone. It was Rhea Knox, leaning against the support pillar with a smirk that never reached her eyes. She was the best runner in the district, and she never showed up unless there was blood in the water.
The Price of Curiosity
“You two look like you’re dissecting a ticking bomb,” Rhea said, lighting a cigarette. “Word is, Helix is tearing the sector apart looking for a lost asset. If you’re holding what I think you’re holding, you aren't just runners anymore. You’re targets.”
I tucked the drive away, my heart hammering against my ribs. “We’re just clearing out, Rhea. Nothing to see here.”
“Lena Voss is looking for you,” she continued, ignoring my dismissal. “She’s got a buyer who doesn't care about the law, only the information. But be careful, Kai. Information in Port Aster has a nasty habit of killing the person who carries it.”
She walked away before I could ask how she knew about the drive. The air in the shop suddenly felt suffocating. I looked at Tomo, who was already packing his tools, his face pale.
“We have to go,” Tomo said. “Now.”
As we stepped out into the rain, the sirens began to wail—the distinct, high-pitched scream of a Helix Meridian lockdown. The city’s perimeter lights flared, turning the night into a harsh, clinical white. They weren't just searching for a thief; they were hunting a ghost.
I gripped the Black Drive in my pocket. If I really did perform that mission, and I have no memory of it, who was pulling the strings? And more importantly, if they could make me do it once, what happens when they decide to activate me again?
The extraction window for the night closes in twenty minutes. If we don't make it to the terminal, we’re trapped in the heart of the conflict zone with an army of corporate security closing in. Survival isn't just about the gear anymore—it's about finding out who I really am before the people who own the city decide I’m obsolete.